November 19, 2013

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm always hesitant to use the words "the best" in regards to anything. The best book I've ever read, movie I've ever seen, meal I've ever had. But whenever someone uses the words "the best", I have to try it, see it, or read it for myself.

Unless you're my husband. He exaggerates about everything, as all those who know him would say. ;)

So, of course, when  I saw these cookies on The Novice Chef blog a few weeks back, I had to make them. We're all searching for that perfect chocolate chip cookie, and I'll happily eat batch after batch to find the one.


That food strike I told you about? Yeah. It happened after these cookies. That must tell you something, right?

I don't know if these were "the best", but yes, they were pretty dang good. Some of the best I've had in a long time. :) They're fat, puffy, soft, and full of the perfect amount of sweetness. I didn't touch the recipe at all and followed it to a T. Make sure you read about how to form each ball of dough, that's pretty important and the key to great looking chocolate chip cookies.


Source: The Novice Chef
Servings: 24

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons (1 stick plus 6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 heaping cup milk chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract until lightly incorporated. Add the flour, in batches, mixing slowly until combined, then add the baking soda, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. 

Roll two heaping tablespoons of dough into a ball. Tear the ball in half and place the torn side down on the cookie sheet. Take the second half and place it on top of the first half (this is the what it will look like) -- leaving about two inches for spreading.

Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes. The cookies may not look cooked in the center, but they will finish cooking while cooling on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days (a slice of bread will keep them soft). 

1 comment:

  1. I just pulled a batch of these out of my oven ten minutes ago. You are right! They don't look like they're done at all, but now that they are resting on the cookie sheet, they are starting to look pretty darn good! I'm so anxious to try one. I think I'm going to risk a burned mouth just to try it. LOL. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS