April 11, 2012

Worcestershire Burgers with Mushroms, Swiss, and Ranch Dressing

Every now and then the craving for a big, juicy burger hits. I like my burgers with cheese, lettuce, sometimes tomato, and always, always, with a sauce/spread.


My favorite burger thus far is this caramelized onion burger. This burger comes in at a verrrrrry close second.  It's got cheese, point # 1, it's got mushrooms, point #2, and it's got a creamy, tangy sauce all over it, point #55. My mouth waters right now just thinking about eating it again.

I love making burgers at home. I rarely ever order one out at a restaurant. For some reason I consider a restaurant burger to be unhealthy- burgers made at home = healthy. I love my math skills. But truly, if I'm making a burger at home, I always use lean ground beef, sometimes grass-fed, and I don't over do it in the seasoning department. I like them simple. I also almost always top it with some kind of veggie, whether it be mushrooms, lettuce, tomatoes...and I use a whole wheat bun. Win win's all around. 


This burger is definitely one I can guarantee you'll want to add to your dinner rotations. "Sandwich" night can be fun and gourmet!

Source:  adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine

1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
About 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons grated onion
coarse salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 deli slices swiss cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound baby bella mushrooms, slices
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 cup sherry (I used chicken stock)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 - 1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 clove garlic, grated
Whole wheat buns

Preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Combine the beef, worcestershire, onion, salt and lots of pepper. Form into 4 patties (thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking). 

Add the oil to the hot pan, add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare to medium. Top the patties with the cheese, folded to fit the burgers, during the last 2 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 12 minutes. Add the shallot, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Deglaze with chicken stock.

In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, buttermilk, herbs, lemon juice, hot sauce and garlic; season with salt and pepper.

Put the cheeseburgers on the roll bottoms and top with the mushrooms. Slather the roll tops with the dressing and set into place.

6 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering, these sound heavenly! We have burgers on the menu for tomorrow and I think these are what I'll make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so hungry for a good burger lately...these sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade burgers are the best! And I loved that you used ground sirloin. Now this is a legit, homemade gourmet burger. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mushrooms and swiss combo on burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby loves mushroom & swiss burgers so I know he would flip over these! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS