September 1, 2011

Sweet Treats Week #4: Honey Peanut Butter Banana Cinnamon Blondies

Hello friends! I hope you've been enjoying Sweet Treats Week here on This Woman Cooks! Cupcakes, biscotti, muffins...I've certainly loved doing a sweet themed week and already have ideas for future themes. Today I've got another guest post for you, from none other than Jen from Beantown Baker. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to hear from Jen- she wanted to do a guest post on my little 'ol blog!? I remember reading Jen's blog before I even had the slightest idea of starting one of my own. I loved her beautiful photos, original recipes, and scrumptious desserts. She's got it all. I hope you will welcome her and take a look at her blog if you haven't before, I promise you'll become a loyal fan.

____________________________________________  

Hi readers! My name is Jen and I blog over at Beantown Baker. As the name implies, I live in Boston with my Hubby and our two cats. I like to bake and Hubby serves as my taste tester. I've done quite a few Week Of... themed weeks myself, so when Christina tweeted about it last week, I encouraged her to give it a shot. So here I am with a contribution to her Week of Sweet Treats.


I was looking through my Google Reader for some inspiration on something sweet to make, and the memory of some very overripe bananas kept popping into my head. They were definitely to the point where I needed to bake something or throw them in the freezer. As I was looking for banana recipes, this one popped out at me. I absolutely LOVE peanut butter and bananas together. Every morning for breakfast I eat a whole wheat bagel thin, topped with peanut butter and sliced banana. It's so delicious and filling.

When I went to my baking cabinet, I was sad to see that I didn't have any peanut butter chips (gotta remember to grab some at the store next time I'm there!) But I did have some cinnamon chips. I love baking with cinnamon chips. They might be one of my favorite ingredients. I decided the cinnamon chips would be a suitable substitution and went to town baking these. In no time flat, I could smell the amazing aroma of peanut butter, cinnamon, and banana coming from the kitchen.


After I took a bite, I was honestly wishing for more peanut butter flavor. I would recommend making these with the peanut butter chips, or reduce the amount of cinnamon chips so the cinnamon doesn't overpower the peanut butter. Hubby couldn't keep his hands off these even though he claims not to like peanut butter in desserts.

Honey Peanut Butter Banana Cinnamon Blondies - adapted from Healthy Food For Living - makes 16 bars
Printable Recipe
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 cup mashed overripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white whole wheat flour (all purpose would work as well)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup peanut butter chips (or 1/3 cup cinnamon chips)
1/4 cup peanut butter (if you aren't using all-natural peanut butter, reduce the honey to 2 Tbsp)

Preheat oven to 350.

Line an 8x8 pan with foil or parchment paper. Spray with baking spread.

Beat together the applesauce, oil, brown sugar, honey, and banana. Add the egg, then vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, basking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just moistened. Fold in the peanut butter and chips. The peanut butter doesn't need to be completely mixed into the batter.

Pour batter into pan and bake 25-28 minutes.

Allow to cool prior to cutting into bars.

Thanks again Jen! It was a pleasure having you! 

Be sure to come back tomorrow, there's a prize involved!

8 comments:

  1. they look so yummy. I'm a big fan of peanut butter anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pb anything too! These look delicious. Def will have to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list of ingredients in these bars-has applesauce and no butter. No doubt that these taste delicious. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah - I think you just combined all of my favorite things! This looks perfect for a quick breakfast on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds like I must try it!!! Like the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I have folllowed your sweet week and found some interesting stuff.Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty sure these would disappear within minutes if I had a chance with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! I'm always looking for more ways to use honey in my baking. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/09/sweet-indulgences-sunday-20.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS